- Please calls/emails from student volunteers only not your parents.
- The Volunteer Application appears below (please print and complete). If you are a minor your parent must sign as well.
- Most jobs are during the weekdays between 8:30 - 2:00 pm.
- We are closed evenings and weekends. Open M-F 8:30-4:30
- Students 15 and older are accepted during the summers. Applications for summer 2017 are due by March 1st. Interviews over early closing days or spring break. Mail applications to Christine Wildemuth, South Brunswick Senior Center, 540 Ridge Road Monmouth Jct, NJ 08852 or call for appointment to drop it off.
Morning Front Door Greeter
Filled - Waiting list only. Sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. 8:30-12:30 shift. Available Summer 2017 youth 15+
Afternoon Front Door Greeter
Filled(one day a week) can apply now for adults age 21+ to sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. Summer 2017 youth 15+ 12:30-4:30
Youth Afternoon Door Greeter School year
Filled. Accepting apps for Sept-June wait list only HS students from 3:00-4:30 to sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center or Gym and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. Must work one day week Sept-June.
Fitness Room Attendant-9:30-11:30 Wed. or Fri. Looking for persons 21+ with fitness or personal training background (can be retired or college student studying this field) to assist seniors in fitness workout room with about 7 machines on volunteer basis.
Wellness Center Greeters- Filled. Taking wait list and adult subs only. Greet seniors entering and exiting Gym room and make sure they have authorization to use the room. Adults Sept-June shifts 8:30-12:30 or 12:30-3:00. Summers for youth 16+ shifts for students 8:30-12:30 or 12:30-4:30 one day week.
Tech Center Assistant- Adults Available starting mid April Help seniors one day week one to one here at the center in our lab of 5 computers from 10:30-12:30pm. Basic word program, email, Facebook, Internet surfing, aid with printing, using Wi Fi, etc would be taught. Students Summer 2017 Must be 16+ one day week 10:30-1:30 help with computers and Ipads.
Municipal Building Receptionist/Greeter-Looking for adult volunteer subs to be on call when regular scheduled volunteer is away or ill.-in the Municipal Building main lobby 12:30-4:30pm. Greet visitors, direct them to the proper offices, and answer phones. We are always accepting applicants for an on call basis to cover days the person may be away as well. Age 21+ will train on phone system.
OFFICE WORKER-- Need Wednesdays or Fridays 8:30-1:30 clerical work, answer phones, assist seniors with class registrations, make calls etc. Office experience preferred. Age 25+. Will train. Commit to at least one day week
Kitchen Meals On Wheels Food packer-Filled 8:30-12:30. Volunteer in the kitchen once a week on 8:30am-12:30pm packing meals that are delivered to homebound seniors daily. As well as serving the senior noon meal. Must be 16 or older for summer 2017 youth positions.
Special Event/Party Assistant
Available students Summer 2017-July 13th, 27th, August 10th and 17th 9:30am-2pm per event age 15+.
Games Day-Available Summer 2017-Help serve barbecue lunch to seniors then run a carnival game station and help seniors play. July 13th and Aug 17th 9:30-2:00. Age 15+
Interview a senior veteran and then make a scrapbook page for our Veterans Book representing their experiences. All materials provided. Computer access for typing. Schedule is flexible based on when you and the senior are available. usually 2-3 hours the day you come for interview then you may work on page as you have time very flexible. HS Students can do from 3-4:30pm.
Crafts Assistant- -Available youth Summer 2017-Once a month in July and August 11:30-2:00 to assist seniors in simple craft project. July 18 and Aug 15th
Wii Game Assistant- Available summer 2017- Tuesdays July and August 10:30-1:30pm-Must be at least 15 years old. Intergenerational program where play Wii Bowling with seniors.
Senior Advisory Council Board Member- Applications for 2017 closed accepting for 2018 until July 1 2017
This is a 13 person board appointed by the Mayor and Council that are involved in the operations of the senior center. Terms begin Jan 1st of each year and are for 3 years. You must be 55+, live in South Brunswick and be a member of the senior center. Meetings are held the first Thursday of every month 10:30-noon at the center. We encourage seniors to attend these meetings to see what is happening and if interested in applying fill out an application that is available in the senior center office. Applications for 2018 will be taken until July 1st
Theater Coach/Leader- Available. Looking for someone 21+ with a passion for drama that is willing to lead a group of seniors interested in a theater group.
Horse Races Game -Summer 2017 two mondays a month July 10, 24, Aug 14, 21st. Must attend all days. Run this game with the seniors & other volunteers. You will be taught how to play. Outgoing personality good speaking voice. Two Mondays a month 11:45-1:45. Must be 15+
Closet Organizer- Available Youth summer 2017-- 16 or older July 12th 10:30-1:30 organize closets and book shelves.
Trivia & Birthday Luncheon-Available summer Prepare trivia questions to ask seniors, serve lunch and cake. July 20th and August 22nd 10:30-12:30 age 16 or older.
EAGLE SCOUT PROJECT IDEAS
1. Outdoor area-Build an official cornhole game with bean bags, repair frame to our bocee court, flowers
2. Open to any ideas a scout may have
The Senior Center staff are looking for people willing to rake leaves, do light yard work, or shovel snow for seniors must be 21+. Or if scouting group or club must have adult supervision. Call us if interested. Any day or time that you have available is fine. We encourage you to reach out to those in your neighborhood also.
Mr. Fix It Program - seeking volunteers over the age of 60 with handyman skills to perform small repairs in seniors homes in South Brunswick. The program is operated by the county program Retired Senior Volunteers and provides a beneficial service to our seniors.
Call (732) 249-6330 to sign up.
Age 21+. State Health Benefits program. You attend a series of all day trainings for 6-8 weeks once a week given by the county and state and learn all about health benefits. Trainings offered twice per year in different counties. Then you work at the Senior Center as a volunteer as needed assisting seniors.
Training held twice per year in various locations. Call Christine 732-329-4000 x7682 if interested. Must attend all sessions from 9am-4pm. Free parking. Bring own lunch.
The Position Description is as follows:
Overall Goal and Desired Impact on Community Upon Accomplishing This Goal:
- Education and assistance to Medicare Beneficiaries
- Reduction in stress of Medicare beneficiaries concerning their Medicare coverage.
- Helping Medicare beneficiaries avoid spending more money than they have to.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completion of Client Contact and Public and Media Activity Forms.
- Explanation and comparison of Medicare Supplement insurance with associated paperwork.
- Explanation, comparison of, and enrollment in Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plans with associated paperwork.
- Explanation, comparison of, and enrollment in Medicare Prescription Drug Plans with associated paperwork.
- Explanation of Medicare Parts A and B benifits
- Referrals to other available services.
- Casework- Troubleshooting issues with Medicare (Parts A,B,C and D), Medigap employer group coverage, ect.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- Good organization skills
- Ability to navigate the Internet
- Ability to independently resolve problems.
- Commitment to provisions of SHIP Memorandum of Understanding
- Bi-lingual ability a plus.
- Minimum of 10 hours per month
Benefits to Volunteer Counselors:
- Mental Stimulation
- Fulfillment from helping others
- Knowledge gained that is helpful to the community
- flexible SHIP work schedule - days of week and times of day
- Camaraderie with other Ship counselors.