Our building remains closed due to Covid-19. At this time I do not know if we will have any volunteers this summer. Please check back for updates. Thank you and stay safe!
Summer 2021 High School Students
- Please calls/emails from student volunteers only not your parents.
- The Volunteer Application appears below (please print and complete & mail to us). If you are a minor your parent must sign as well.
- If you have volunteered with us before you do not need to fill out another application just call Jackie and let her know the job you would prefer and best day and times you are available.
- Most jobs are during the weekdays between 8:30 - 2:00 pm.
- We are closed evenings and weekends. Open M-F 8:30-4:30
- Students 15 and older are accepted during the summers.
- Mail applications to Jackie Johnson, South Brunswick Senior Center, 540 Ridge Road Monmouth Jct, NJ 08852 or contact her at 732 329 4000 x7677
Morning Front Door Greeter
Open Wed and Thurs . Sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. 8:30-12:30 shift.
Afternoon Front Door Greeter
Open - Mondays & Thursdays 12:30pm - 3:00 pm
can apply now for adults age 21+ to sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival.
Youth Afternoon Door Greeter School year
OPEN Tuesdays, Wednesdays HS students from 3:00-4:30 to sit at our main entrance of the Senior Center or Gym and greet seniors as they enter and help them scan into the computer upon their arrival. Must work one day week Sept-June. Age 15+.
Wellness Center Greeters- OPEN Wed 12:30 - 3.Greet seniors entering and exiting Gym room and make sure they have authorization to use the room. Sign them in and then track what machines they use for 20 min each. Adults Sept-June shifts 8:30-12:30 or 12:30-3:00. youth OPEN Wednesday
Age 16+ shifts for students 3:00 - 4:30 one day week Sept - June
Tech Center Assistant-OPEN MON, THUR & FRI10:30-12:30- Help seniors one day week one to one here at the center in our lab of computers and IPads from 10:30-12:30pm. Basic word program, email, Facebook, Internet surfing, aid with printing, using Wi Fi, etc would be taught.
Municipal Building Receptionist/Greeter-OPEN Mondays &Thursdays -in the Municipal Building main lobby 12:30-4:30pm. Greet visitors, direct them to the proper offices, and answer phones. We are always accepting applicants for an on call basis to cover days the person may be away as well. Age 21+ will train on phone system.
Kitchen Meals On Wheels Food packer- FILLED Adults needed Monday - Friday. Volunteer in the kitchen once a week 8:30am-12:30pm packing meals that are delivered to homebound seniors daily. As well as serving the senior noon meal.
Senior Advisory Council Board Member- Filled for 2020
This is a 13 person board appointed by the Mayor and Council that are involved in the operations of the senior center. Terms begin Jan 1st of each year and are for 3 years. You must be 55+, live in South Brunswick and be a member of the senior center. Meetings are held the first Thursday of every month 10:30-noon at the center. We encourage seniors to attend these meetings to see what is happening and if interested in applying fill out an application that is available in the senior center office. Applications for 2020 will be accepted starting May 2019 until July 1st 2019
Theater Coach/Leader- Available. Looking for someone 21+ with a passion for drama that is willing to lead a group of seniors interested in a theater group
EAGLE SCOUT PROJECT IDEAS
1.Open to any ideas a scout may have
The Senior Center staff are looking for people willing to rake leaves, do light yard work, or shovel snow for seniors must be 21+. Or if scouting group or club must have adult supervision. Call us if interested. Any day or time that you have available is fine. We encourage you to reach out to those in your neighborhood also.
Age 21+. State Health Benefits program. You attend a series of all day trainings for 6-8 weeks once a week given by the county and state and learn all about health benefits. Trainings offered twice per year in different counties. Then you work at the Senior Center as a volunteer as needed assisting seniors.
Training held only once per year in our area. Call Jackie 732-329-4000 x7677 if interested. Must attend all sessions from 9am-3pm. Free parking. Bring own lunch.
Location - Middlesex County Fire Academy - 1001 Fire Academy Drive, Sayreville, NJ 08872
If interested, contact John Siwczak 609-438-4795 at the county to resister and complete necessary paper work
The Position Description is as follows:
Overall Goal and Desired Impact on Community Upon Accomplishing This Goal:
- Education and assistance to Medicare Beneficiaries
- Reduction in stress of Medicare beneficiaries concerning their Medicare coverage.
- Helping Medicare beneficiaries avoid spending more money than they have to.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completion of Client Contact and Public and Media Activity Forms.
- Explanation and comparison of Medicare Supplement insurance with associated paperwork.
- Explanation, comparison of, and enrollment in Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plans with associated paperwork.
- Explanation, comparison of, and enrollment in Medicare Prescription Drug Plans with associated paperwork.
- Explanation of Medicare Parts A and B benifits
- Referrals to other available services.
- Casework- Troubleshooting issues with Medicare (Parts A,B,C and D), Medigap employer group coverage, ect.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
- Good organization skills
- Ability to navigate the Internet
- Ability to independently resolve problems.
- Commitment to provisions of SHIP Memorandum of Understanding
- Bi-lingual ability a plus.
- Minimum of 10 hours per month
Benefits to Volunteer Counselors:
- Mental Stimulation
- Fulfillment from helping others
- Knowledge gained that is helpful to the community
- flexible SHIP work schedule - days of week and times of day
- Camaraderie with other Ship counselors.
“The State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) is a statewide program administered by the New Jersey Department of Human Services with financial assistance through a grant from the U.S. Administration for Community Living (ACL).”